Monday, March 19, 2012

Where's Roxie-Week 10

This week I was in a place filled with lots of sweetness and love, even the trees made that clear as I found one that had a heart in the bark :)
Many people may think of Vermont as a equated with Maple Syrup but Maine has quite a little industry of its own. Many individuals also will tap just a few trees and boil it down for their own use.
One of my oldest and dearest friends opened this sugar shack back in 2002 with his father, a wonderful man that lost his life in a tragic accident just over a month ago. The trees are producing some fine sap this year and I know that Mr. Lewis is watching over the operation still, his presence is felt all throughout the property and this venture so dear to his heart.


Because of the super warm temperatures this year, this particular shack boiled its last batch this weekend (once the temperatures get too warm and the trees begin to bud, the taps need to be pulled so as not to damage the trees...I am far from an expert, I am just going on the tidbits of information I picked up listening over the weekend).


Some of you will know what town this was, as I have already given away the owners name. I believe Maine's Maple Syrup Sunday (an annual thing where participating sugar shacks open to the public to see the process and purchase products) is next weekend. Check out the website here http://www.mainemapleproducers.com/maine-maple-sunday-map.html to find a local one near you. Its a great day for the whole family.

So, guesses? Where was Roxie in week 10?






In Loving Memory of Mr. Clair Lewis, September 10, 1936-February 11, 2012

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute Roxanne!
Oh and btw I have NO idea where you were but it looked beautiful! Unity maybe??

Roxanne Ashey said...

Not Unity but very very close to it :)

MEL said...

Thanks for alerting me to this blog, Roxanne. I throughly enjoyed my trip through your pictures. God bless you!

Roxanne Ashey said...

Mel, if you haven't already, please go back through the older posts, and keep following...I try to do a Where's Roxie post about once a week..always someplace different in the State of Maine and please spread the word!